[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.gcvets.net - View topic - Update Maps

Update Maps

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Update Maps

Postby stAtrill » 01 Aug 2012 05:29

Hey guys, I want to throw an idea out there:

I am considering writing a small python script that will dig through the entire CM map pack, extract all .sdf's, and modify the squads files. Essentially, it will set all ond units to speed/shields and go ahead and configure the default dropship loadout. It will also check for and add in PHX units to maps without them.

The goal is that configuring becomes merely hitting start mission for the host, and everyone else just has to count to 10 and hit start mission. No muss, no fuss. I am hoping this can save some significant non-gameplay time by cutting 2 or so minutes from every match played, plus reducing joining-before-the-host related hair loss due to host loading slow or the offending player prematurely clicking start mission.

I have some knowledge gaps though, I don't know what a good cray loadout looks like (do tanks take speed or defensive or?/jeags take vision or dem charges or?).

Does this even sound like a good idea? This could make the match entering process muuuch smoother (especially for those who refuse to use last), and it allows those of us using DC to play maps other than just the 10 standard DM maps as phx.

I could have the script make other modifications as well. For example, I could have it add an extra support squad to maps that have less than 2, or add tank squads to maps with less than 6 (DM1 for example). I could also have it add extra inf squads (or whatever necessary) to crays for 1v1 balance. It could even enforce a single air squad rule (I say this in the hope that air will get unbanned).

And if the community would like, I can have it increase the squad number limits to 10 or 12 on maps (with possible exceptions, like DM1 or other tourney maps). I just want to know all of this stuff before I start writing the script - I only want to do this once to avoid sync issues ("you have the wrong map pack update version" etc).

What do you guys think?
-stAtrill

Another GC archive:

Board-General

Re: Update Maps

Postby Sarvik » 01 Aug 2012 07:55

Not really sure that gain would be worth the hassle :P Then one of the standard hosts is doing it (nox, ghat, bd) I just configure normally, not in hurry but not intentionally slowly either, then recheck if all special weapons/equipment was correct, and then press start. Haven't measured but probably somewhere between 15-30 seconds in total. Also I often make last minute choices in configuring (do I take radar, how many arties/drones, do I take scouts, janice or nuke etc.). Sometimes it even depends of teammates I have, for example some are more likely to take scouts or lots of arty then others.

On other hand, I guess it would make things a lot smoother with beginners.

Board-General

Postby d4rklqrdnem3sys » 01 Aug 2012 12:39

Nice idea stAtrill, it is certainly much better to do this plan than not doing it! Having the usual beginners batch entered by default might make games start faster. (Though I like quick manual configuring.)

And it is definitely worth the hassle if you add PHX units to all maps not having them.

My advice is leave the dropship amounts alone, but configure the squads so that ALL the factions have:

4 infantry
4 assault
4 utility/support
(and 8 air for air only matches, not that I miss them cause I don't)

The thing is, that all three factions should have the opportunity to enter a game with 4 assault and 4 utility vehicles on maps where there are only 2 dropships. Of course, PHX will have a hard time with only their Pyrodynes and Arty, but that doesn't matter one tiny bit, so give them the chance too!!!! Phoenix tanks are quite formidable as well.

Furthermore, having the freedom to take 4 assaults and 4 utilities at 2 dropship levels might end up leaving those pesky (and unrealistically sturdy) power armor units back at the space ship! Not to mention that beginners might leave their radar at home as well and get served! :D
Attachments
this vegetable should be a weapon.jpg
this vegetable should be a weapon.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
[Man:] So say me, noble stranger, what brings you here this night?
[Death:] I have come to release you from the bitter taste of life.
[Man:] Why me? Why now? It cannot be my time.
[Death:] Everything that falls to the ground is mine.

Board-General

Postby Echoscout » 01 Aug 2012 20:07

I am with Sarvik, I would prefer to configure my own squads/specs and come up with my own tactics along the way.

If you just do the standard inf+radar, meds, and beams config (like most games), it'll get boring REALLY quick.

Board-General

Postby d4rklqrdnem3sys » 01 Aug 2012 21:10

stAtrill never said that his configurations would be law, he only said that if someone who only wanted the basic config for a match, it would be much easier to config...well... be there already, but It could be changed!
[Man:] So say me, noble stranger, what brings you here this night?
[Death:] I have come to release you from the bitter taste of life.
[Man:] Why me? Why now? It cannot be my time.
[Death:] Everything that falls to the ground is mine.

Return to Ground Control - General