Spambots

You want to improve something or have complaints regarding the board. Please leave a note.
Board-General

Spambots

Postby Sarvik » 21 Mar 2013 21:43

Yeah, they are becoming dominant again, plz remove.

Also I would suggest having some additional moderators who could do such cleanup then Crayven Marine is not available. I think some of the more active veterans (Echo, Stat, Satch, Ninja) would be well suited for it.

Real Member

Re: Spambots

Postby [_Hellfire_] » 22 Mar 2013 17:17

Agreed.

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 22 Mar 2013 22:01

yeah count me in...

Board-General

Postby [Crayven-Marine] » 25 Mar 2013 16:17

Sorry and thanks for the PM (sTatrill). Yeah, sometime a bot comes trough the countermeasures. The board should be purged so far... ;-)

Cheers,
CM

“Consider your origin; you were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.” - Dante

Board-General

Postby Echoscout » 30 Mar 2013 00:55

Count me in too, would be happy to help out as a mod, if deemed necessary. :)

Was talking with everyone last week on Vent about making the forum invite-only to prevent spam bots. I think most of the vets who are coming back, already have. But I this is a decision that would have to be unanimous among the community.

Board-General

Postby [Crayven-Marine] » 23 May 2013 14:33

Sure we could make it invite-only. But I rather leave it up for a free registration. By the time I will put in more Q/A Tests but for the time it works now and we are SPAM free for a couple of months...

But feel free to start a poll and if the majority wants to change the modality, I will perform...

“Consider your origin; you were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.” - Dante

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 23 May 2013 21:49

There are pro's and cons to both arguments, by making it invite only we limit the number of potential members, but it will also be more secure and exclusive, so people who want to join want to do so and be part of it.
By leaving it to free registration we invite anyone and everyone, which also means unwanted spammers and flyby subscriber's.

IMHO I would go for the invite only, as we are a small community anyway, even at its peak GC didn't command the numbers like C&C. I like the idea of an exclusive club for those who want to be part of this community.

So I guess if there was a vote, put me down for invite.

Board-General

Postby [Crayven-Marine] » 16 Jun 2013 17:20

Hello there,

I see what you mean, but I preferred the way it is: self managed. I am sorry for all the spambots and think about a change of the whole registration procedure. But if I close the board for reg members only, new members must write direct to my and or: If I choose the way of Register and wait for confirmation, the result will be a lot of spammails in my postbox. You see what I mean?

But ok, we surely will not have a wave of joining users anymore in the future. I am goint to think about your
Suggestion!

Cheers!
CM

Return to Service Center