Ground Control II board

You want to improve something or have complaints regarding the board. Please leave a note.
Beginner

Ground Control II board

Postby hammer326 » 27 Dec 2012 07:54

Hello,

I understand this would be the place to file a request for a GC2 forum category/board? my friends and I all play avidly and I'm serious about resurrecting the multiplayer community thereof, and doing so alongside any of you fine crayven or dawnies would be awesome. It seems Massgate has been taken down at least at the current point in time, which leaves us.

I'd appreciate if the admins could see what they could do.

Thanks guys! GC forever!

Board-General

Re: Ground Control II board

Postby ninja_prime » 27 Dec 2012 08:41

This forum is really only for Ground Control, there were issues with GC2 OE that changed the gameplay and dynamics of the original game, which left a lot of players disappointed. IMHO GC is more suited to pure tactics and instant action, where as GC2 OE, was more suited and attempted to cater for the other RTS players out there, I think it was Massive trying to go more main stream.
But I would welcome a GC2 community as its still set in the GC universe and hopefully we can get more players playing both games.
BTW Welcome to Gcvets.

Beginner

Postby hammer326 » 28 Dec 2012 21:12

ninja_prime wrote:This forum is really only for Ground Control, there were issues with GC2 OE that changed the gameplay and dynamics of the original game, which left a lot of players disappointed. IMHO GC is more suited to pure tactics and instant action, where as GC2 OE, was more suited and attempted to cater for the other RTS players out there, I think it was Massive trying to go more main stream.
But I would welcome a GC2 community as its still set in the GC universe and hopefully we can get more players playing both games.
BTW Welcome to Gcvets.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but you'd really have the game die because it's somewhat different than its predecessor which you'll use to justify not giving it a space here? All I'd like is a board besides the off topic one to organize games and build a community. I say again, Massgate, the official massive entertainment forums for all of their games, is currently off the face of the internet and frak if I know whether it'll even return.

Thanks for the welcome by the way.

On the side, If nobody already has been informed, that download link for the game on the blog homepage is broken or disfunctional, might I suggest replacing it with a simple link to the game's GOG.com page? I dont think a $3 transaction will stop anyone you actually want to play with.

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 28 Dec 2012 21:40

Hey I have no control what really goes on here, you'd need to ask one of the administrators. With regards to GC 2, I like the game and to be honest it never really lived up to all the hype that was built up for it. I do not want to see any game die, especially GC2. In fact I have done a few maps for GC2 and I still play around with the Xed editor from time to time.
It's down to the powers that be on this site if they want a GC2 forum.....

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 29 Dec 2012 12:21

This question was raised once before but didn't happen as there was no serious interest from active members at that time. I guess in the end its up to Crayven-Marine who is admin here.

hammer326 wrote:On the side, If nobody already has been informed, that download link for the game on the blog homepage is broken or disfunctional, might I suggest replacing it with a simple link to the game's GOG.com page? I dont think a $3 transaction will stop anyone you actually want to play with.

It actually works, at least the one on blog's main page, just takes quite some time (2-3 minutes for me) for it to load the page so that you can start download, which is a bit strange. I think it was faster previously.

Board-General

Postby Satch » 29 Dec 2012 17:27

I'd suggest setting up your own forum and IRC channel for your friends to idle in — although the value in that depends on how many friends you have playing regularly. Most people here cannot see past their personal opinions on the game, and therefore won't be of much help to you.

Best of luck.

Beginner

Postby hammer326 » 01 Jan 2013 20:39

Satch wrote:I'd suggest setting up your own forum and IRC channel for your friends to idle in — although the value in that depends on how many friends you have playing regularly. Most people here cannot see past their personal opinions on the game, and therefore won't be of much help to you.

Best of luck.

I could set up a stupid forumotion and IRC board in an hour, and look like an idiot and some splinter group to this place. It'd also be sort of counterproductive as currently we're at any one time just 3 or 4 long time friends in a skype call. I'm looking to expand beyond that and open my group and favourite game's door to you guys and anyone else. I've ran forums before, I don't know how much interest there has to be for one more subheading. Will anybody truly be like "Why is that GC2 board there?! take it off!" before they become upset with someone, say, posting about GC2 in one of the established boards?

I wont lie to anyone, I dont have a whole clan behind me playing this game daily, but I've given my copy to more friends than I can remember this holiday season as a small gift, and we chew on the co-op campaign as well as the occasional deathmatch quite often. If that can't warrant a simple bulletin board here, I'm unsure what will.

I understand none of you really have the authority to make this happen so forgive me if I sound as if I'm yelling at any of you. Crayven-Marine, if you read this I hope you consider my proposal for the good of the series and community.

You guys have a hell of an operation, to be modest, and I can't see how someone wouldn't want it to thrive, myself included. In this case it's simply by expanding to encompass the WHOLE series. If you are familiar with the EARTH games, another RTS series from GC's time, do you think any community that many be out there for it would disregard its four expansion packs?

btw Sarvik- you are correct, but retrieval of the key back on fileplanet does not work, only the setup client download itself. GOG's copy does not have such a hindrance, in fact their entire inventory is DRM free. I might also suggest someone buy a copy there and host the file here, if someone has the capacity.

Board-General

Postby Satch » 02 Jan 2013 18:15

If CM is around he will make a sub forum for you, as you said, there's no real reason not to — I was just giving you a heads up that the majority of people here don't even have GC2 installed and there's very little discussion about the game, so I'm not sure you would gain much initially from having a sub forum here.

The reason I suggested an IRC channel is that when growing a community and attempting to arrange matches when you don't have many people, real-time means of communication is generally more useful than a forum.

Beginner

Postby hammer326 » 04 Jan 2013 18:08

A fair point. We congregate on gameranger anyway since to my knowledge, the game's official multiplayer is no longer active anyway. GR is fine as a social platform- friends list, chat rooms, game lobby, the works.

Also, small secret- playing GC2 and ANY game on GR is not technically internet multiplayer, so you can share copies of the game as my friend and I did. It's also part of the big sale on gog.com for a mere $6. The Co-op campaign we really enjoy, I invite anyone who hasn't given the game a go to snag a copy and roll with us, easily as much fun as the first game.

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 05 Jan 2013 18:59

hammer326 wrote:btw Sarvik- you are correct, but retrieval of the key back on fileplanet does not work, only the setup client download itself. GOG's copy does not have such a hindrance, in fact their entire inventory is DRM free. I might also suggest someone buy a copy there and host the file here, if someone has the capacity.

I think that key isn't needed for playing on GR anyway as I remember having similar issue. I had some issues with installation due that retrieval failure though, was quite some time ago but I remember that I had to switch my default browser to firefox (I normally use Opera) and clear its cache for installer to get pass that point.

Next

Return to Service Center