Crash on startup

Technical Problems and Issues can be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Re: Crash on startup

Postby stAtrill » 13 Jul 2015 16:19

So, if you notice, your problem module is DirectInput. I don't remember where else I have seen this (it didn't happen to me), but others have had trouble with the really old DirectX 7 modules as well, and in some cases it was due to programs bundling bad versions of DX7.

I would find DX7 from an alternate source and reinstall. This assumes you are not on Win8, and also assumes you don't have programs like anti-keyloggers (which can interfere with input libraries in general).

-Stat

Beginner

Postby BattleBuster » 13 Jul 2015 16:25

stAtrill wrote:So, if you notice, your problem module is DirectInput. I don't remember where else I have seen this (it didn't happen to me), but others have had trouble with the really old DirectX 7 modules as well, and in some cases it was due to programs bundling bad versions of DX7.

I would find DX7 from an alternate source and reinstall. This assumes you are not on Win8, and also assumes you don't have programs like anti-keyloggers (which can interfere with input libraries in general).

-Stat

okej il try reinstalling dx7 se if it helps :P

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 13 Jul 2015 16:27

Since you are online right now, open up ventrilo and we can get this resolved! I will be around on vent for about 35 mins.

-Stat

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 13 Jul 2015 16:49

afterwards could you post what the problem was and what fixed it (if you guys get it fixed over vent)

cause that would be useful information
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Beginner

Postby BattleBuster » 13 Jul 2015 20:46

Well we tired but could not figure it out but one of my friends is gonna help me tomorrow so if things work out il post what he did here hoping :P

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 13 Jul 2015 20:51

stat cant the dependency walker program help find out the problem?
http://www.dependencywalker.com/
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Real Member

Postby Van » 14 Jul 2015 00:58

You seem to have the same problem I had with my laptop which I tried to use the first time I was gonna play with these gents over here. And I tried alot of things, Do you get an error message at all popping up when you start the game, because I got one but can't for the love of god remember what it was and I've now returned my Laptop to my school as it was a borrowed computer so can't try it now.

But as someone said up here, it might be DX7 that is fcked. I didn't try changing that, but ran it in every compatibility mode with and without Adminstrator rights.

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 14 Jul 2015 16:42

shpooky wrote:stat cant the dependency walker program help find out the problem?
The dependency walker is useful for debugging inclusion-based errors, and a few other things that don't quite apply here.

I can see 3 possibilities, DX7 was bad, there is an input driver issue, or some alternate program is interfering.

We checked first to make sure his DX7 was correct, and it was. We then checked input device drivers, and there is some weirdness (AKA a possible lead still there), but we didn't have time to finish going through it. We also checked for the most common sources of interference (UAC, some antiviruses, certain driver management programs, etc). His computer is relatively clean, so there wasn't much there (except for having 2 anti-viruses at the same time lol).

I am of the opinion it is DInput failing while enumerating devices, and I think the input drivers are almost certainly causing this. We would still need to go through the remaining non-existent keyboard devices to figure out what the dead ones are doing there in the first place, though.

Hopefully it is something simpler! Waiting for your tomorrow update,
-Stat

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 26 Jul 2015 07:23

Have you checked the event viewer logs to see if you can narrow this issue down. It could be a graphics card issue. Are the graphics driver up to date? Have you run DXDIAG on his rig to see if that throws up an issues?

Previous

Return to Ground Control - TechNote