Gameranger is getting foul...

Technical Problems and Issues can be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Gameranger is getting foul...

Postby stAtrill » 11 Dec 2012 01:17

So guys, Gameranger just installed a new update today (12/10/2012) which mandates that flash player be installed before it will run. Problem is I already have the flash player, since I use Google Chrome (which is bundled with flash and updates are pegged to Chrome versions). The fecking thing even has the gall to open my browser for me an initiate the download. And worse, since the links to the forum are managed through Gameranger (which won't open), I can't even tell them to screw off (pages wont load unless the .exe authenticates you somehow, a real sleazy act).

Back when the forum links did work, I would read the stuff the GR coder/owner would say on the forums, this guy is grade-A scum, from the bottom most parts of the barrel. (He managed the backlash from the ads veeeery poorly...)

Is it time to consider other options?

-Stat

Beginner

Re: Gameranger is getting foul...

Postby -Scratchy- » 11 Dec 2012 17:24

Is there another option? GR may be imperfect but functionally it just isn't possible to MP Ground Control by any other method that I'm aware of.

For you, the obvious work-around is install Firefox, set as default browser and let GR have its flash install. Should get you up and running.
Yes, I do know my avatar does looks like an angry jobbie. I feel it gives anyone considering reading my posts a reasonable amount of warning about the likely content.

Beginner

Postby subbybr » 14 Dec 2012 17:19

Gameranger sucks but its all we got! So treat it nicely or it will kick u from room!

Board-Major

Postby Chumpit » 19 Dec 2012 14:19

I just went on the forums, that place is worse than youtube!

EDIT: dont have time to look right now but this might be a solution
http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en&pg=network-list

Beginner

Postby -Scratchy- » 19 Dec 2012 18:38

Chumpit wrote:I just went on the forums, that place is worse than youtube!

EDIT: dont have time to look right now but this might be a solution
http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en&pg=network-list

Having had a chance to read up on it, it looks like awesome-sauce. How it actually performs remains to be seen, but it clearly does offer an alternative to GR. Insane aerofoils to you sir!
Yes, I do know my avatar does looks like an angry jobbie. I feel it gives anyone considering reading my posts a reasonable amount of warning about the likely content.

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 19 Dec 2012 22:01

I am installing it, anybody else want to try and see what it does?

Board-General

Postby Echoscout » 20 Dec 2012 01:38

I am with Subby, GR has worked well for our little community and it is all we have for the moment. Do we even know if this new service would support GC?

I'm open to pursuing other options, but for now we should stick with GR. It would take some time to get everyone switched to a new service.

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 20 Dec 2012 07:05

It looks like that GC is on the list of games, I am not one for abdicating change for change sake, and yes GR has severed this community very well, but if there is something else out there why not give it a go and see what it can offer. I am still reading the how to files for it, but the interface looks smart and shinny, but what we need to ask ourselves is what do we want from it that GR can't offer, how if any is it going to make the gaming experience better, and what exactly about GR is wrong that anyone would want to change?

Beginner

Postby subbybr » 20 Dec 2012 10:50

Ok just downloaded tunngle. It seems to be quite similar to garena. Rooms with 225 spots. Well add me there if u downloaded (subbybr).

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 22 Dec 2012 15:34

Ok added subbybr to my list of friends on Tungle, also added RVSB and sssinchyklay who happen to be in the GC forum...

Next

Return to Ground Control - TechNote