Hosting On Game Ranger

Technical Problems and Issues can be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Beginner

Hosting On Game Ranger

Postby Phoenixstorm » 07 Dec 2012 07:13

I believe I should asking this on a forum site specifically about Game Ranger, but I don't want to sign up anywhere else. Too many forum accounts already.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that Game Ranger can't allow you to pick any game you have on your hard drive to host. The game has to be legitimately installed and recorded in windows' registry it seems. I thought that you can just create a random room and treat it like a vpn and run the game. You can't just have the data files. The only game it lets me host is gc2 because its actually listed under installed programs, but nothing else. So is there anyway around this?

Beginner

Re: Hosting On Game Ranger

Postby -Scratchy- » 07 Dec 2012 10:37

*goes here*
*installs this*
*can host on GR*
*is you!*
Yes, I do know my avatar does looks like an angry jobbie. I feel it gives anyone considering reading my posts a reasonable amount of warning about the likely content.

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 07 Dec 2012 16:40

Phoenixstorm wrote:The only game it lets me host is gc2 because its actually listed under installed programs, but nothing else. So is there anyway around this?

Scratchy has got you covered, GC is free so you have no need for "less than legitimate" installs. For what it's worth, I was able to get GR to work with a "less than legitimately" installed program (not that I advocate that or anything). You just have to manually tell GR that the game exists and where to find the executable (the auto search it does only uses the registry, as you found out).

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 08 Dec 2012 07:40

I just point it to the exe of the game, and Gameranger does the rest. I have one or two games that are "less than legal" and it works fine.

Return to Ground Control - TechNote