LAN Problems

Technical Problems and Issues can be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Beginner

LAN Problems

Postby Phoenixstorm » 03 Dec 2012 02:08

I'm new to this community. I'm glad there are still people out there trying to revive the community for this game. Grats to you.

Anyway, my problem is concerning LAN. I just want about 4 to 6 computers on the same home network to play gc darkcon using LAN but I can't get anything to show up in the game list for computers trying to join. I noticed that it wants to pick a server, so do I need to create a LAN server for the game, or does gc already do something like that when you create a game? I have all firewalls down but I haven't done anything with port configuration yet.

I want to get this working with LAN for my friends. I don't know if os influences anything, but i'm testing out the lan features with my desktop running win 7 64 home and my netbook running win 7 home 32. I don't think os would affect anything but i'm posting my entire test environment to get a complete diagnostic on my problem. The gc game i'm actually using is unmodded 1011 eng with a crack app to bypass the cd check. But I have that same exact copy of the game running on two computers, so I don't know if maybe the same two cd-keys on the network might have something to do with it.

Beginner

Re: LAN Problems

Postby Phoenixstorm » 03 Dec 2012 02:48

Interestingly, I have it working now, but only if I allow drop-in game, start the game with only the game creator then allow others to join in after starting. Strange that I can't get any computer to join before starting.

Board-General

Postby Admiral Ghat » 03 Dec 2012 03:45

Would have thought the 2 CD keys trying to reach the same server would be the issue. Everyone has the same version of the game, right? Could also be a problem with the LAN setup itself. Maybe one of the other more tech-savvy guys can help out.

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 03 Dec 2012 05:43

Phoenixstorm wrote:Anyway, my problem is concerning LAN. I just want about 4 to 6 computers on the same home network to play gc darkcon using LAN but I can't get anything to show up in the game list for computers trying to join. I noticed that it wants to pick a server, so do I need to create a LAN server for the game, or does gc already do something like that when you create a game? I have all firewalls down but I haven't done anything with port configuration yet.

I had the same problem with my brother, and we were also across OS' (I am win7, he Vista). I don't remember how we fixed it, as we just tried to play together again last night and I couldn't remember how to make it work. I do remember that firewalls had nothing to do with it, neither did running as administrator nor disabling other softwares (peerblock, antivirus etc).

This most recent attempt, he was running a trace from his computer in promiscuous mode which showed the GC room creation on my computer (so his computer was receiving the packets, if that helps narrow it down). He just left today, so I cannot experiment now. :P

I hadn't thought about the drop-in game, good to know.

Board-General

Postby Satch » 03 Dec 2012 21:07

I've had mixed success with playing GC over LAN, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's actually much less hassle to just install GameRanger and play over that. The ping is negligible.

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 06 Dec 2012 07:10

Interesting, but we have played GC at work, and we have had no problems.
What setup do you use when playing via LAN at home? Do you use a cable to connect the two pc's together or do you go on the Internet? I have connected via LAN with two pcs by using a network y
Cable and that works fine. I have also connected 4 pcs all going into a mini hub and that seems to work too. If there is going to be problem it will normally come from either the firewall setting on each pc or a port isn't open or something.

Board-Major

Postby Compuguy » 06 Dec 2012 09:13

huh strange Dark conspiracy lan does have problems for me too when ii host even on gameranger

Return to Ground Control - TechNote