Need Help

Technical Problems and Issues can be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Re: Need Help

Postby Echoscout » 29 Nov 2012 01:53

At least for me, there is a separate folder in \data for mods, (c:\games\gc\data\mods)

For example, the .SDF files for Arrakis and Jaegers go into this folder, while the batch files to execute the mod go directly into \gc

But for your marines mod, the .SDF is in \data with a batch file in \gc...does it work both ways then? Or mod specific?

These are the only mods I have, I wasn't very fond of the others that have been made.

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 29 Nov 2012 02:24

thx your the first to answer all my questions your the best ninja_prime
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 29 Nov 2012 03:21

oh and quick question do we have the power to edit the ground control files that are in the game and update them so we can make a file you can gust put in mods and then they work! thats how it is in war zone 2100 all you have to do is make a file called mods in and then a file in that one called auto load and put mods into auto load and then the mods work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no coding or anything els keep it simple for the new people who com and don't want to do all that coding nonsense well of course we will have to recode the original files but it will make it easier for other people when they want to add mods oh if you want to see want to see an example go to this link http://guide.wz2100.net/faq
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 29 Nov 2012 03:25

oh and try to make all mods the same typ plzz make it so we can gust past it into a file for ground control and nothing els and it works does it seem like a good idea? or am i gust confusing you guys if i am sorry just ignore me if i do

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 29 Nov 2012 06:43

Echo is correct there is a folder called mods, I totally forgot about that :oops: . I think and I am sure someone will correct me on this but as long as you have the basic file structure in place, when you sdf the mod or maps the software will add the files correctly. I don't think it cares what files you sdf. sdfman.exe will just copy them into the folders you have them in...am I making sense?

With regards files to alter, are you talking about files to boost armour and weapons etc? if so then yes, I would have to dig up my notes on this, but you could ask stAtrill or Kevx or anyone who has done mods for GC about it and they could point you in the right direction.

GC is not that simple to mod, its one of the reasons the game never really made it main stream, Massive were at the time very protective about their source files and codes. I know what you mean about a simple mod structure that anyone can pick up and run with, if it were that simple with GenEd then there would be more people playing this game today....

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 25 Dec 2012 01:29

ok now i have nother thing to talk about when i try to make a map i cant import a height map and i cant put in units are you guys still using gened? or am i gowing to have to downlode a new program?

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 25 Dec 2012 06:40

shpooky wrote:ok now i have nother thing to talk about when i try to make a map i cant import a height map and i cant put in units are you guys still using gened? or am i gowing to have to downlode a new program?

About heightmaps: If I remember correctly, you can only import uncompressed greyscale Targa files (16 bit, 512x512 pixels, with no alpha component). GC is HIGHLY selective about this. I tried many programs, and found Paint.NET is the most lightweight program to create these files (no extra fluff or superfluous features).

About placing units: Make sure you install Gened to the right spot (I forget where, Ninja would know), or it will not find the unit files. Also, make sure you have it installed on a non-Dark Conspiracy version of GC, otherwise your maps will ONLY be playable from Dark Conspiracy (and will crash out of normal GC).

Looking forward to two map makers ^^

-Stat

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 25 Dec 2012 07:35

Hey shpooky,

If you want to make maps in GC then you'll need to use GenED, make sure it's the older version and not the one that came with DC otherwise as stAtrill said, you will only be able to play it in DC which many people don't have.

Anyway here is a link to the GenEd version I use http://www.mediafire.com/?sf8il3m17qdk9ou
just extract it into your data folder and you should be good to go.

I will be making a HowTo make maps tutorial soon, just one of those things I keep meaning to do.
If you get any problems either post on this forum or PM me.

Welcome on board and its great to have another mapper :)

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 31 Jan 2013 02:29

ok i have not been going on gcvets.net anymore. sorry my computer died and i cant play gc anymore im using my local library computer to right this. i am leaving gc by the way i have been playing a new game on the xbox its halo 4 ive been playing that game a lot and when im not im doing other things so this is goodbye to gc someone delete my profile and forget me im not coming back

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 02 Feb 2013 10:18

wow... did we scare him off or something....
sorry to see you leave.. maybe in the future you may come back..

Previous

Return to Ground Control - TechNote