Need Help

Technical Problems and Issues can be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Real Member

Need Help

Postby [_Hellfire_] » 07 Sep 2012 02:15

So my Windows XP desktop computer from 06 that I played GC on died and I've been trying to play on my laptop but its laggy and with bad graphics even though I feel like it should work fine. My laptop has intel core i3, intel hd graphics 3000 and 4gb RAM. Is it because GC is an old game? What should I do?

Board-General

Re: Need Help

Postby ninja_prime » 07 Sep 2012 11:45

Hi, the only thing I can think of updating the graphics card, that would be the first thing I do.
GC should run fine on many old systems as far as I remember, it was created with XP in mind with DX9.
You could also try settiing the video settings down and see if that helps. GC only runs on a max of res 1024x768.
You could run it under compatiabilty mode and see if that's any better? I take it your laptop is W7?

Real Member

Postby [_Hellfire_] » 07 Sep 2012 18:59

Yes its w7. And what exactly do you mean by compatibility mode? Do you think it could have something to do with it not being made for windows 7 PCs? Thx

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 07 Sep 2012 21:08

[_Hellfire_] wrote:Yes its w7. And what exactly do you mean by compatibility mode? Do you think it could have something to do with it not being made for windows 7 PCs? Thx

if you right click on the GC program and click on "properties" there is a tab called "Compatibility" from here you can select to start a program in a previous version of windows that it used to work in. I can't guarantee that this will work but it's worth giving it a go.

Real Member

Postby [_Hellfire_] » 09 Oct 2012 01:42

Update: So after trying a bunch of stuff that didn't work, I manually replaced my current Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver with the latest generic driver from intel. The old one was a custom one from Dell and it wasn't running GC properly. This new one that I installed seems to be running GC like it is supposed to. So yeah, looks like problem solved, and thx for the input ninja prime. Even if it is a laptop I feel like it should run a game from 10 years ago with how much computer technology has advanced over the past decade.

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 15 Oct 2012 06:26

LOL... I've worked in the IT department now for over 15 years, IMHO if things were supposed to work the way they were supposed to, then I would be out of a job.

I am happy that you have GC up and running now. Hope to see you on Gameranger some time soon. :)

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 28 Nov 2012 06:14

what folder do you put mods in ? to make them work in ground control?
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 28 Nov 2012 06:48

If I remember correctly you don't, mods are normally compiled into an sdf file and you run the mod through a command line. The sdf file for the mod is usually installed in the data folder.
For example the Dark Conspiracy game is actually a mod and if you look at the command line to launch it, it looks like this C:\Sierra\GC\gc.exe -mod DARKCONS
which mod are you trying to run?

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 28 Nov 2012 15:10

so i can put the mod anywhere and run it if i edit the command line to run that file ok so where do i edit this command line?
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 28 Nov 2012 19:30

Make sure that the mod (sdf file) is in the data folder, otherwise it won't work.
create a batch file that has this line C:\Sierra\GC\gc.exe -mod The name of the mod
you can create the batch file anywhere and save it on your desktop, so that you can launch the game I think. I could be wrong tho as the rebellion mod launches differently. wait one sec.

here is a copy of the batch file I used;

@ECHO OFF

cls

REM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REM !!! Information : Makes it easier to run a MOD in Ground Control !!!
REM !!! Last modified : 18.11.2002: Ninja_Prime !!!
REM !!! Location : gc\mod1.bat !!!
REM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REM !!! DO NOT ALTER ANY INFORMATION HERE OR YOUR GC SOFTWARE MIGHT TAKE DAMAGE ON RUN OF FILE !!!

REM ***** fixing environment for MOD to be runnable **********************************************
echo !!! Moving original GC files from 'gc\data\' to 'gc\data\backup\'...
md data\backup
if exist data\backup\data2.sdf goto OOPS
if exist data\rebel0.sdf goto INIL
echo !!! "gc\data\rebel0.sdf" is not found, mod cannot be executed.
goto COMPLETE

:INIL
if exist data\data2.sdf move data\data2.sdf data\backup
if exist data\data2.sdf goto ERROR
echo !!! Using Mod Files
ren data\rebel0.sdf data2.sdf
echo.

REM ********* runs GC DC with Mod
echo !!! Starting up GC:DC and the mod. This mod will only run if you have the Dark Conspiracy expansion (Mod missions will be unplayable) To play the MOD after this. run DC normally.*******To disable the the MOD run this batch file again.
:RUN
echo GC.exe -mod DarkCons
GC.exe -mod DarkCons
goto COMPLETE

:ERROR
echo !!! ERROR: Not able to run MOD in GC (data0.sdf still present)
goto COMPLETE

:OOPS
ren data\data2.sdf rebel0.sdf
move data\backup\data2.sdf data
rd data\backup
echo !!! GC Files restored, MOD disabled

:COMPLETE

Next

Return to Ground Control - TechNote