GC widescreen resolution

Technical Problems and Issues can be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Beginner

GC widescreen resolution

Postby Justinian » 11 Mar 2012 21:10

I am interested is somehow possible to edit or change and add some parameters, values in config or even hex edit something, to make GC playable in higher resolutions, appropriate for widescreen monitors.

I have tried to find some solutions on google, but found almost nothing promising, so I am wondering if maybe somebody from here managed to find a proper way how to modify it and make it happen! Probably it can be done, hex editor would be a way, but that would need some higher skills and knowledge to deal with it, which most of the ordinary players don't have...

I am just curious about that matter, it is nothing so very important, game is great and looks amazing even without that, but anyway why not give it a try...

The saved resolution appears to be in \data\gcvideo.dat. The available resolutions are 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. These three resolutions affect offset 40,41 in that file. Here are the values for each resolution:
640x480 = 7B5E
800x600 = DB5F
1024x768 = FB58
Any ideas on what to do next?

Board-General

Re: GC widescreen resolution

Postby Satch » 12 Mar 2012 20:03

This probably isn't possible. I believe there is a widescreen hack/solution for GC2 (although correct me if I'm wrong on that one). I doubt there is a way to force GC1 to run higher than 1024.

Beginner

Postby Justinian » 13 Mar 2012 00:47

It's seems that it is time to give up on this matter... At least Ground Control 2 supports normally higher, widescreen resolutions. I didn't need to modify anything, it was already available in options...

Board-General

Postby mind-pt- » 14 Mar 2012 01:22

yea well, i've been having similar "issues" in applying the directx to it because it still uses de OPENGL thingy that is from late 90's early 2000's, and mainly i can't either force it into running in window mode or anytother res that is out of the game options basically to ease the "match" recording which we did some experiments some months ago with "live stream".

i had to record it first with fraps and then record my own desktop with the movie running on VLC player, if i had done it recording directly thru the game it would have bugs, not "stable" framerate and you could see under the map and those sort of things.... well GC is an old game that's all, give it some discount : )

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 14 Mar 2012 09:22

I also tried to search about this then I got myself widescreen monitor but did not find anything. Gotta do with those black bars on sides.

Board-General

Postby [Crayven-Marine] » 14 Mar 2012 20:14

I guess there will be a problem in rendering when you go up in the resolution. There must be some different implementations existent to ensure that the engine can run correctly. But this is just my humble opinion.... :-)

Have you tried to contact massive, some of the GC1 developers are still there and probably they can help you with it?!

“Consider your origin; you were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.” - Dante

Beginner

Postby Justinian » 21 Mar 2013 17:39

After 10 months of my absence, I return to the forums and I am bringing great news to share with you! :D

Ground Control WIDESCREEN patch (hack) - FULL HD / 1920X1080 ! It works like a charm! Nox, or whoever, consider to put this amazing news/link on main page of http://gcvets.wordpress.com/ , for all people to see and grab it :mrgreen:

I always believed and knew that it was possible, I even correctly anticipated steps, but the final and most important one, due to my lack of skills of hexediting and coding, wasn't possible to be finished and made.

Few months ago, some Italian guy, Chrix, managed to find solution, he posted about that on GoG.com, but haven't provided detailed instructions, only sole download link which quickly went down/got broken, and afterwards he was nowhere to be found, no signs and words of him...

Luckily one Swedish guy - Lawe, downloaded and saved it. I contacted him today, via his youtube channel, and to my great suprise, he responded quickly and very kindly, I feared does he still have the file, thankfully he has, he sent me it, and I thanked him in the name of whole GCVets community!

Here are the download links/ various sharing sites:
depositfiles
2shared
speedy

Just extract files to GC main folder and run the game with .bat file! It is only made for FULL HD resolution, which I believe, most of you use :) Only minor cons is that interface gets a little bit small, but that shouldn't be problem, since almost everybody is using hotkeys. Anyway, here is an example of screenshot which I took.

additinal pics:

http://i4.minus.com/ijGJiiYtlWdJN.jpg

http://i2.minus.com/ilVURbjFk8M14.jpg

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 21 Mar 2013 18:14

Thank you!!!

Now I'm off to see if it makes mine detection any easier...... :D

Before I forget, welcome back good sir!
-Stat

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 21 Mar 2013 21:49

Real men stick to 4:3 aspect ratio!

(Sarvik has 1680 X 1050 so he cant use that widescreen patch)

Beginner

Postby Justinian » 22 Mar 2013 11:05

@Stat, thanks for your kind words of welcome ;)

I hope that also somebody else tried this and that it works well...

Just to say small and obvious thing - when you start .bat file, don't be suprised to see choice for old low resolutions, whatever you select and pick, HD will be loaded :)

Next

Return to Ground Control - TechNote