Spectator mod

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-Major

Spectator mod

Postby Compuguy » 13 Mar 2016 00:31

more slots for spectators :D would be cool to watch and commentate on games without any units to deploy :)

Real Member

Re: Spectator mod

Postby Van » 13 Mar 2016 10:27

I don't think this is feasible as we can't actually get into the code of GC and can't edit very much :( But spectators and a better lobby system overall would be a dream!

Real Member

Postby E-Dawg_snizzle » 24 Mar 2016 09:22

The only way I see this being somewhat possible is by having an extra un-used team that has no drop zones on the map and has a radar with a 5400m view range buried underground so it can't be destroyed. For example if a map is set for 2 teams, you will be able to choose team 1, team 2 or team 3. T1 and T2 will have drop zones allowing them to play. where as team 3 will have no DZ and nothing but a radar that can't be destroyed. This means someone will have to edit every map to have an extra team allowed and maybe even edit the mod to have a 5400m range radar. You won't be able to spectate on 8 team maps unless you remove team 8s DZs turning it into a 7 team map. The only problem with this is the spectator gets "defeated" after the first unit of any team has been destroyed so you no longer have a mini map and won't be able to see health bars. But it would be better than nothing I guess.

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 26 Mar 2016 23:08

Reading your post, everything seems plausible, even the 5400m radar (which isn't usable by default, but can be manually edited in, or is included in the DC versions of the files).

E-Dawg_snizzle wrote:[...] The only problem with this is the spectator gets "defeated" after the first unit of any team has been destroyed [...]
This sounds like you've actually tested this, am I correct? I have never noticed this behavior - I do know that no team can be considered defeated before 30 seconds (iirc), DZ or no, after which the game forces you to attempt to drop a dropship. Never seen a use case with no dropzone actually available.

-Stat

Real Member

Postby E-Dawg_snizzle » 29 Mar 2016 09:30

Yeah I tested it on my computers at home. But yeah after 30 seconds if you have no units on the ground you get defeated. however to trigger that someone has to score

Real Member

Postby Van » 31 Mar 2016 23:03

Can't you create a Invulnerable scout squad under the map? Spawn it in for the last team and give it a self destruct Special weapon? I don't really know how it works well but could that work?

Real Member

Postby E-Dawg_snizzle » 03 Apr 2016 07:35

Can't you create a Invulnerable scout squad under the map? Spawn it in for the last team and give it a self destruct Special weapon? I don't really know how it works well but could that work?

In theory it would work but it's not possible to bury units under the map. And if it was on the map it would be a distraction/interference to actual players.

Real Member

Postby Van » 06 Apr 2016 19:17

Can't you put them in areas of the map where they are not reachable? (For example put some anti air terras on a hill none can get to)

I know all maps don't have this, but we could try it

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 13 Apr 2016 03:10

if we all had DC we could add in a 4th faction "spec mod" with only a air unit that has infinite stealth so it cant be detected and also has a shit ton of view range and has drone vision (why a air unit you ask?) cause then it cant be killed by arty hitting it or be able to fuck with players by placing the unit in places that would block their path or even block specs and weapon fire from players aimed at other players (body blocking)
(also the unit should not be able to shoot obviously)

but then we don't play with DC so i guess we have to go the no drop zone approach and just add that to every map.......... and add a drone for that team that cant die or shoot or be seen simple............. (or move) cant forget about that body blocking and fucking with players!

edit- why drone you may ask? cause it can see units behind hills n shit

edit2- why has no one uploaded a DC download?
(ill prob do it and link it in another post) when i stop being lazy..........
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Real Member

Postby E-Dawg_snizzle » 13 Apr 2016 07:35

The air units will still be a distraction. I have already tested this theory with air units by putting the flying height super high (like over 1000 meters) so you cant even see the unit but anything that can shoot at air units (such as beams, rockets and infantry) will still shoot at the air units which means they will be a distraction. one thing we might be able to do is give them a permanent cloaker?

But yes if we used DC it would make this spectator mod thing a lot easier to do regardless of if we do a forth faction or the no dropzone idea (we use a radar terradyne and change the view range to 6400. there is already 2 radar terradyne entities so that would be perfect) . I do plan on posting a DC download link in the near future but I'm still trying to perfect the balance mod for it.

Next

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps