Shall we take 3 weeks to rebalance Cray?

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Shall we take 3 weeks to rebalance Cray?

Yes
89%
No
No votes
Other (please explain)
11%

Total votes : 9
Board-General

Re: Shall we take 3 weeks to rebalance Cray?

Postby _nOx_ » 07 Aug 2014 13:02

stAtrill wrote:this is basically a vote thread for the question: "should we try to correct CC's balance?"
Ok, ok... But then I have one question: If we are now deciding if we should mod the game to balance CC, (and by "we" I mean you cause you are the only one that actually works) what have we been doing for the last months? I thought that decision was made long ago. Am I wrong? o.O?

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 07 Aug 2014 17:01

_nOx_ wrote:By making CC equal to OND in open maps you do realize you'll end up
1.- Making CC a OND with different appearance
or
2.- Making CC insufferable in close maps

Don't you?

I specifically proposed we make GC semi-symmetrical.

That is NOT making the factions identical to each other.

But I would put this forward: if people don't want to solve the lopsided nature of GC... if they deliberately want Order to be able to dominate Crayven in most maps, well, I do have a problem with that.

I would like to try out the "Counter-Measures" special equipment. I would propose that it combines a short duration AMS with a short duration repair. And for the same time period as Shields, and with the visualization feature (so you can see when they're active or not).

The effect would be this:

When CC and Order vehicles engage on open maps, Order would have a short window in which to hit-and-kill Cray (the Counter-Measures wouldn't be like shields: they wouldn't make a unit immune). Order units could then use their speed to escape (Cray units would not have that option, since they're slower). BUT the repair feature would means that any surviving Cray vehicles would be able to heal up to some degree in place.

The total effect of this, on open maps, would hopefully be as follows:
  • Order units do fast hit-and-run, using shields and special weapons (exactly like they do now).
  • Crayven units would be more like a steady phalanx, slowly advancing forward.

In other words: Order would be like Mongol horsemen with composite bows (riding around firing from a distance), but Crayven would be like Greek spearmen formation (staying close knit, slowly advancing).

And I must apologize in advance for one thing: I would make life harder for dominant Order players. But it might make Crayven survivable on an open map WITHOUT having to turret spam.

Board-General

Postby _nOx_ » 07 Aug 2014 17:54

First: You haven't argued how that wouldn't lead to the sencond point
Second: Your counter measures sound to me like an slow OND
Third: That leads to long slow games which is the kind of games you like the same way Stat tends to suggest changes that lead to fast games which is what he likes. Your ideal games would last around 30 mins whilst Stat ideal games would last 15 mins and I find both extremes too... extreme.

Anyway, as Stat said this is not the thread so I'll quote myself in an onanistic kind of way
_nOx_ wrote: If we are now deciding if we should mod the game to balance CC, (and by "we" I mean you cause you are the only one that actually works) what have we been doing for the last months? I thought that decision was made long ago. Am I wrong? o.O?

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 07 Aug 2014 19:53

_nOx_ wrote:Ok, ok... But then I have one question: If we are now deciding if we should mod the game to balance CC, ... what have we been doing for the last months? I thought that decision was made long ago. Am I wrong? o.O?
Haha partially - I think the goals were similar, but different. We were updating the game, yes, but not with a focus on CC balance; instead, more with a focus on fixing/removing things that people didn't use (to increase strategic options, etc). It just so happened that CC had far less useful equipments/specs than OND :P

_nOx_ wrote:.... That leads to long slow games which is the kind of games you like[,] the same way Stat tends to suggest changes that lead to fast games [(]which is what he likes[)]. Your ideal games would last around 30 mins whilst Stat ideal games would last 15 mins and I find both extremes too... extreme.
While I do personally like fast games (and I am usually spent by the 15 minute mark), I realize that I am just one member of this community. Even though I may typically suggest things that I think will make games more intense, the testing team reviews my ideas alongside everyone else's. In my mind, it is the check and balance that is necessary to make this process work.

Like I said earlier, I have been trying my best to remain as impartial as possible - I will build whatever the community wants.
-Stat

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 07 Aug 2014 21:05

may i help with the modding stat?
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 07 Aug 2014 22:17

shpooky wrote:may i help with the modding stat?
Sure, if you would like. I have been needing to upload all of this up to github anyway.

BTW Shpooky, go cast your vote! And get everyone else you can to vote as well ^^
-Stat

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 08 Aug 2014 00:14

give me a link to all the tools and files ill need and ill see what i can do
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 08 Aug 2014 12:24

Plz keep actual suggestions how balance changes should go out of this thread as Stat requested. I am finding it hard to resist urge to explain how only I know what is best, and how you all are nubs. :P

Board-General

Postby _nOx_ » 08 Aug 2014 12:38

Sarvik wrote:Plz keep actual suggestions how balance changes should go out of this thread as Stat requested. I am finding it hard to resist urge to explain how only I know what is best, and how you all are nubs. :P
LOLOL Damn! Ladies and gentlemen I'm proud to present here today to all of you, Sarvik, the (right) monster
http://youtu.be/qgDKtLPp46s

(... though maybe the lyrics of this other one are more close http://youtu.be/9r2pEdc1_lI)

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 08 Aug 2014 16:50

Although I haven't had time to play the new mod properly, I agree with _nox_ about keeping the factions different. OND are supposed to be faster but weaker armor, while Cray are slower but tougher and harder to kill. With regards the turret's, in keeping with the Cray ethos, could they be slower regarding turning/targeting moving units, but maintain their tough armor, but make them more vulnerable to splash damage? would that even be possible?

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps