Open response to Stat

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Open response to Stat

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 04 Aug 2014 19:42

Okay, fair enough.

Could we at least try one of the mods I posted for Balance Mod. The game design process requires testing.
Last edited by XFunc_CaRteR on 04 Aug 2014 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Board-General

Re: Open response to Stat

Postby Satch » 04 Aug 2014 21:14

It is really unfortunate that people in this community cannot work together to improve the game. The collective knee-jerk negative reaction to any slight (and temporary!) change cripples any real chance of improvement. The truth is that the mod is a waste of time with the current community members, and this is a real shame since the creation of such a mod should be fun and inject a bit of life back into the community.

The reason the mod has been so challenging to playtest is all down to the characteristics of the playerbase. Your typical GC player is:

1. Old (I'd imagine that the average age is way over 30).
2. Not really strong at competitive gaming and not used to constant patching/changes that is extremely common in most multplayer games
3. Far too used to playing the exact same game in the exact same way every week.

All these things combine to ensure that any change that takes them out of their comfort zone is met with stubbornness. People aren't open-minded enough to see the potential in positive changes to Ground Control. I used to be very excited and vocal about the mod, but in all honesty it's just never going to work and you should think about spending your time on more fruitful projects.

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 05 Aug 2014 13:39

Yeah, we definitely aren't most change minded community out there, whole trouble of getting every brazilian to install new versions probably doesn't contribute either. :D Although in this case I would also say that Carter's suggestions sounded absolutely excessive to me. Also Carter, it should be easy to see why others are hesitant, because you yourself were not particularly enthusiastic about whole modding thing at beginning either ;)

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 05 Aug 2014 23:31

You won't know if it's excessive until you test it.

We got a new player recently. On the first playout he wanted to go Crayven. (Sound familiar?) I caught video of the typical long explanation (this time by Ghat) of why he "should be Order" instead.

To my mind, the Balance Mod is successful when that conversation is no longer needed. THEN the game has harmony and balance.

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 06 Aug 2014 06:44

Hey hey,

I didn't see this thread created - I have been mainly watching my PMs to know when to come visit the site :P

I am going to create another thread to address this, which contains the research I did (and sent to Carter in a PM) regarding comparison between the factions' attributes. I also need to solicit from the group whether or not to pursue CC balancing - I already need to update the turrets, so it would make sense to address them both in the same release.

Link to the vote thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7221&p=9912#p9912
-Stat

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps