Extract SDF data

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Beginner

Extract SDF data

Postby Inter (vx) » 15 Jul 2014 16:25

Hi all I need help to extract SDF data can give me a hand?

Real Member

Re: Extract SDF data

Postby DarixIta » 15 Jul 2014 19:39

You should ask ninja or stat, they have such arcane knowledge ;)

Beginner

Postby Inter (vx) » 15 Jul 2014 19:43

Thanxxx Darix =]. see you Fridayyy

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 15 Jul 2014 21:21

Hey hey Inter! I got your private message, let me know if you would like me to continue this here or in private messaging.

Anyway, extracting the SDFs is easy. Nox has uploaded the extraction tools to the blog: http://nbek.org/external/GC/tools/SDFextract.zip

The problematic part is getting at the model data, as you are trying to get. Although there is a folder there for Lightwave's lwo files, it is empty. Massive made a proprietary tool called packMod that compresses lwo files with their metadata, and all models were converted to MOD and deleted from lwo (presumably to save space).

KevX made some good strides into cracking the Mod format, and from the writings that I have dug up from him, was successful, and used it to fuel a partnership between him and Massive (AKA he was silent and hasn't released any info). I haven't yet tried to crack it myself, though I can understand as I haven't even uploaded my own notes from the SDF files.

Something else that I haven't pursued - I haven't checked if there is some flag you can pass the packMod program that will cause it to unpack a MOD file. Unfortunately, the program doesn't even run on my PC.

Interestingly, the PackMod tool is not uploaded to the Blog: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b1rm1x46hmgh1cn/PackMod.exe

Cheers,
-Stat

Beginner

SDF Extractor running

Postby Inter (vx) » 15 Jul 2014 22:54

Stat thank you very much!!. Now I have the problem that I can not start the extractor SDF.
I'm suspecting it's because it's a 16-bit application on my pc I have win 7 64 bit.
From already thank you very much =]

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 16 Jul 2014 00:26

what are you up to inter? :D extracting sdf files
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Beginner

.MOD Files

Postby Inter (vx) » 16 Jul 2014 05:25

STAT're right! now the problem is it's all in q (. MOD). starting Pack MOD will be possible to open these files?

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 16 Jul 2014 19:20

I don't know for sure - the program does not load on my computer regardless of settings. I do know, though, that this is the tool that compressed them all into the MOD format.

Ill peek a bit more into the program later this evening,
-Stat

Beginner

Postby Inter (vx) » 16 Jul 2014 19:24

I'm poking around the web to see if I can get some info about this extension.
GreetingSSSSS Stat!

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 17 Jul 2014 05:48

Hi Inter,

Are you trying to create or modify the models? I think you'll need to get a copy of lightwave if you want to be able to do that. I know that Tweaks and Tabu did something in the past, but there was some issues with the models animations or something crashing the game. You would need to contact Kevx about this, if he can be contacted that is, not even sure if he still visits here, I haven't heard from him in ages.
Good luck with what your trying to do, it was tried in the past before with not much success, and that was when the original programmers from Massive were still about.

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps