Welcome to the Grid!!

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Welcome to the Grid!!

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 25 Jun 2014 06:51

Hi guy's as you may know, I have just re-released the Desert and DM map pack, more to fix the game crashes due to the sqd files and STAT's balanced mod not playing ball. Anyway this gave me an opportunity to redo some of the maps, by removing the hostile units in them (therefore more new maps to play) and also introduce a grid map on the mega map on some of them. The reason for the grid map was in response to something that Carter posted on YouTube about team communication etc.
All the DM maps that I re-released have had the grid map treatment, and I will be releasing all future maps with it on them. So let me know if you find it handy or if you want me to change it slightly before I release the new maps.

Patiently waiting for your comments ;)

NP

Real Member

Re: Welcome to the Grid!!

Postby DarixIta » 26 Jun 2014 19:39

Grid imo is really a great tool, only thing is that on some maps the high amount of grid lines\squares makes it harder to rapidly locate the one you are looking for. On the other hand more squares=more precision, so idk, we might just need to get used to it :D
As for the maps I played some of them, and to me nightwing ( is it called that way? ) is too dark, you really need to focus to see the ground. And also i noticed that on solitude, the big desert map with 2 dz each team and 3ds, loadouts have changed: now you have to take 2 squads of inf, which in that map is a bit of a pain.
But those are only little details, great job as always ninja, thanks to you we have new battlegrounds on which to crush nOx and his annoying scouts!!!

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 27 Jun 2014 01:14

I still haven't managed to get a map to run with these grid lines.

Is this in the latest mappack?

By the way: go check out the way I set up my download for Reduction (www.preparetodrop.com). It comes zipped up, with a readme file, including latest info, but the actual name of the .vpk is just Reduction.vpk. So it gives you both info on the latest build, but it always ensures that when you install it you overwrite the older versions.

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 27 Jun 2014 05:42

Hi Darix,

I did try the grid lines with less and have larger boxes, but I found that too inaccurate, that's why I ended up with the final grid spacing and numbering. It's a case of getting used to it I guess, but if more people want to change it then I will. Nightwing and Redwing were supposed to be dark maps, I wanted to change the gameplay a bit and try to make it a more balanced map so both cray and ond didn't have too much of an advantage on it. Not really sure if that type of map works, only time will tell.
With regards the loadouts, I ended up changing them and just loading the default sqd files from the original game so that it didn't mess with STATS mod. Just remember that you have 12 squads available to you on the Solitude map.

Hi Carter,

Yes it's an amended map pack, if you load the DM map pack it will have all the maps with gridlines. I have called the sdf file the same name as before so it should overwrite the old one. Thanks for the heads up about your mod called Reduction, still haven't got round to playing that. Where do you install the vpk file again?

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 27 Jun 2014 18:44

XFunc_CaRteR wrote:I still haven't managed to get a map to run with these grid lines. ...
Me neither - it is just in the mega map? I haven't been around enough lately to have noticed one way or the other if so.

The idea is awesome; it gets around the need for some way to indicate locations to your teammates - a long needed feature in games of this type.

Thanks Ninja!
-Stat

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 28 Jun 2014 09:17

This is a list of the following maps from the Desert Map pack that have gridlines..

Regret
Hill52
Ghost
Forgiven
Illuminati
Frogger
DV
Nightwing

I need to know from the community if any of this is at all helpful, I am happy to put the time and effort into changing all my maps and any future maps I create to have gridlines on them. However what style would you want to see. Carter has suggested that we use the more conventional one and that is by having both numbers on the x and y axis rather than having letters and numbers which I am currently using. I don't really mind either way, as I am happy to change it to what best suits everyone.

This is Carter's suggestion:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8hdyei4dadpd8t9/GC_Megamap_Grid_Diagram.jpg

Or the one I currently use, which I will amend slightly:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/sz3foxuxfk0xb9b/regretmegamap.jpg

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 28 Jun 2014 16:58

"My suggestion" is actually not mine at all.

It's the way all topographic maps are laid out.

In a future tutorial, I'll show how you can do a six-digit grid reference, which lets you pinpoint a location exactly. That way you could tell other players where a mine or demo charge was with precision.

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 28 Jun 2014 21:46

If you guys use that letters and numbers mangling of the grid system, I will quit Ground Control and cease making episodes of TSTpGC.

The reason why I will quit is because it will undo the work I did in doing that grid tutorial. The grid system I used is actual, real-world land navigation. If you're using letters and numbers, it will be like making a mockery of the work I did in that tutorial. In that case, I would rather that those lines weren't put on the megamaps at all. I will not be able to use proper grid references, and it will be like a slap in the face.

At some point, people just need to acknowledge that they have something to learn from the larger world. They have to learn how to be students and how to learn something.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/earth-sciences/g ... /maps/9789

In my opinion also, truly competent people need to learn how to draw the line between what they know and what they don't know. Competent people are willing to learn. Incompetent people think everything is up for debate, or they think that they have nothing to learn.

I was going to do an advance tutorial to explain six-digit grid references, which you can use to exactly pinpoint a location. You could use a six-figure grid to pinpoint a democharge, for example. But I didn't get into it just yet. Anyway, here is a tutorial from a New Zealander about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJVxgWttUdY

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 29 Jun 2014 06:37

Tim, we are here to encourage people to play this game and not discourage them, if it really means that much to you then I will change it or remove it.
Last time I looked we lived in a democracy, so for me to ask for a vote was the natural thing to do.
I am not stopping you from doing your video tutorials, in fact I would encourage it. It could teach some people stuff, and to me knowledge and understanding how things works has always been part of my learning process, so I look forward to your videos.
I have also had training with orienteering and map reading, so I know about the grid reference. I remember the summer breaks I used to have at school on field trips and I had to navigate around the countryside with just a map and a compass to get to base, and also the orienteering week-ends I went on. To be honest, this thing with being precise about locations and stuff like that, might not all together work for the type of games we have, as it tends to be more chaotic at best and less coordinated with time limits. The type of games that would suit a more methodical approach would be a no time limit game. Now that would be better suited to my game style and game play, as I tend to find things too rushed and less organised. I love to play chess and I really enjoy tactical games which involve planning and coordination and stuff like that.
With GC, its instance action as soon as you hit the ground, people who play this just want to have fun, blowing things up and flanking opponents, especially _nox_ and Ghant (which I might add rarely happens).
GC was never a war game simulator and a refection of actual combat, it was a science fiction game based in the distant future with futuristic laser weapons (for OND anyway).
I am not trying to detract from your grid tutorials, I just wanted a simple method of navigating around the map that people could understand, we do not all come from a military backgrounds and have not been trained in the fine arts of tactics and strategy. Most of us are just week-end warriors and just love this game for its eye candy and great gameplay.
Maybe we could all play a slower and more tactical game of GC with no time limit.....
It would be sad to see you leave the community because of this.. My intention was to enhance the game, not make people leave! :(

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 29 Jun 2014 07:01

I'm up for a no time limit game :D
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Next

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps