Welcome to the Grid!!

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Re: Welcome to the Grid!!

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 29 Jun 2014 16:09

Again, I'd rather there were NO gridlines than wrong gridlines. And doing it that way would *prevent* me from using proper grid references. It wouldn't help me. It would make me wish I had never even mentioned them to begin with.

BTW: the grid system is used for all land nav, civilian and military.

Some things just aren't up for debate. People don't vote every year to get rid of the grid system, anymore than they vote to get rid of time zones or latitude and longitude, or 24 hours in a day, or 12 months in a year. It's simply a convention. A standard.

We need standards and conventions. Without standards, you have chaos.

What I notice in GC is that we play it like kids playing at recess. Everyone messes around and chases the ball without covering their sector, etc. Fair enough. I'm not there to change that. It's a game.

Most games I record are like that. I delete them. There's nothing particularly interesting about them.

But every once in awhile it's nice to have a serious game. A game where you have a lot of solid planning, teamwork and communication. Those matches tend to come across very well, and are very interesting to watch.

My hope with grids and that teamwork tutorial was a way to increase the vocal team element. It makes the matches more interesting to watch when the players have precise, tangible ways to communicate to each other where, for example, a jaeger unit is or a demo is. Without it, people tend to communicate in a sloppy way which does nothing. With more precise and proper communication tools, they are able to better coordinate teamwork, which makes for more interesting matches.

Real Member

Postby DarixIta » 29 Jun 2014 20:21

Grid is an additional useful tool that we can use ingame, no need to take things that seriously, as ninja said, we are weekend warriors, we play for fun more than competition.

shpooky wrote:I'm up for a no time limit game :D

Did it and it was...exhausting and pure adrenaline

Board-Major

Postby mind-pt- » 30 Jun 2014 15:00

About orientation and ofc to improve the efficiency of a team, i think that at least on 4v4's (on maps like brazen) we should divide roles. On most matches we have, i keep noticing the surprise flank attacks that catch you unprepared, unit movements unnoticed, etc. On a 4v4 for example if you assign one element of the team to be like the "radar operator" (after this element deploys the units), you have always a pair of eyes sweeping the minimap for "enemy" units(also with scouts positioned on key areas), if this element constantly informs the team mates on enemy movements, it becomes a huge advantage, keeping the team always aware of what's going on everywhere. This might give you those precious seconds to reposition your squads and avoid getting destroyed.

Now to pass the information on to the team-mates, i think the important is to keep awareness on, even if you simply say: "movement north east" , "they are advancing towards our rear" , things like these are already alot better than nothing and attract your attention to protect our units. Grids would be nice if everyone was trained say them and receive them instantly, but it takes time, its not that its complicated, but not everyone received military basic instruction.

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 30 Jun 2014 16:05

DarixIta wrote:Grid is an additional useful tool that we can use ingame, no need to take things that seriously, as ninja said, we are weekend warriors, we play for fun more than competition.

shpooky wrote:I'm up for a no time limit game :D

Did it and it was...exhausting and pure adrenaline

Well, I take it seriously when something upsets someone. I play seriously, on occasion. I play to win sometimes, and a proper grid system makes that work.

I am not kidding. I will quit this game if incorrect gridlines are implemented. I'm standing for use of proper landnav grids. I put a lot of work into that tutorial, and the gridlines that were placed on those maps are not standard and makes my tutorial irrelevant.

Ninja, sometimes I don't know whether to hug yah or punch yah. You have a natural talent for the organic depiction, which makes you an excellent mapper. The terrain you make looks totally natural and flows organically, and there are interesting strategic features to it. We are in your debt for all of these new maps you've given us, as I've said before. Plus, you take the initiative and do stuff... which is awesome.

But tactics is a diifferent skill. In tactical issues, you need to pay attention to details in a mechanical way. The lossy-goosy, organic approach doesn't work if you want to win or develop effective tactics. It needs to be taken seriously. As Fire said, if you're in this booth you gotta be jerkin' off like the rest of us. (Um... Which, I guess, is also a good segue into Pride Day.)

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 30 Jun 2014 17:31

LOL, Tim I am not upset by what you've posted, it makes very little difference to me what grid system we use or how accurate to real life it has to be. I am happy to implement any system that works for everyone here. Like I said this is a game, and if you have plans for using this as a training aid then even better. If I remember correctly Massive had input from the Swedish Army when they were creating this game. Not really sure what if anything that has to do with this thread :)
Anyway just so we can put this to rest, I will use the amended grid file you sent me.

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 30 Jun 2014 17:37

In Sweden, everyone has to do their 2 years mandatory military service (or something like that)...

You could see that in the Crayven Corp, and how cool their stuff looked.

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 30 Jun 2014 17:48

By the way, thanks Ninja.

Previous

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps