GC 1.1.0.4 Spinoff - Startup time decrease

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

GC 1.1.0.4 Spinoff - Startup time decrease

Postby stAtrill » 11 Jun 2014 20:47

Afternoon gents!

I have another treat for you!

With the upcoming 1.1.0.4 release, some functional improvements will be included that decrease loading times at various stages of program execution. Although in-game loading speed improvements can be made through the standard update patches in the update thread, a significant startup speed increase can be gained by removing the 3 intro videos (as the videos don't even have to be loaded, let alone clicked through). After installing this patch, GC will start directly into the main menu.

This patch affects only the cutscenes file, which in turn has no effects on multiplayer. Since players can have whatever cutscenes file suits their liking, there are multiple versions available, depending on whether or not you want to preserve or remove the campaign cutscenes.

No-cutscenes cutscenes file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6ee3m ... scenes.SDF
This version removes all cutscenes for space and speed savings.
To install, place in your .../GC/data folder and confirm the overwrite.

No-intro cutscenes file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xon7v ... OINTRO.SDF
This version removes just the 3 intro cutscenes and preserves the campaign cutscenes.
To install, rename to 'cutscenes.sdf', place in your .../GC/data folder, and confirm the overwrite.

Although only removing the intro videos is necessary for the boot speed gain, on slower computers, there seems to be an additional speed gain at start due to not loading/decoding an extra 200 mb, as the cutscenes file was as large as all other data files put together.

Cheers gents, and enjoy ;)
-Stat
Last edited by stAtrill on 15 Jun 2014 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Board-General

Re: GC 1.1.0.4 Spinoff - Startup time decrease

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 14 Jun 2014 19:43

Does this make it impossible to see the cutscenes if you play SP?

Remember: the programming has to support the user experience. In any conflict between efficiency and UX, UX wins.

Basically, this is going to be THE version of GC that everyone in the community runs. If someone wants to go through the SP campaign, they should be able to do it here.

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 15 Jun 2014 12:33

XFunc_CaRteR wrote:Does this make it impossible to see the cutscenes if you play SP? ...
Yes, I probably should have made that clearer. I have a cutscenes file already built that only removes the 3 intro movies, but leaves the 4 OND and 4 CC campaign movies - the only reason I didn't upload it was it looked like it was going to take an hour or so when I tried.

Thanks for the idea though; I am uploading the alternate version, and will update the original post when I do.

Sorry about that,
-Stat

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 17 Jun 2014 03:33

I'd like to make a change request.

Is that cool?

This will be a heavy request. To be clear. Could we call it 1105?

I'm asking for a few weeks of GC 1105 for playtesting purposes. If the community agrees.

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 17 Jun 2014 04:23

XFunc_CaRteR wrote:I'd like to make a change request.

Is that cool?

This will be a heavy request. To be clear. Could we call it 1105?

I'm asking for a few weeks of GC 1105 for playtesting purposes. If the community agrees.
By all means, though preferably you would post it in the main update mod thread.

Cheers,
-Stat

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps