New Unit Idea

This forum is dedicated to the ones who take care about Ground Control mods and creating maps.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-Major

New Unit Idea

Postby Compuguy » 20 Jan 2014 02:30

So it suddenly occurred to me to have a single unit squad from the OND mounting a Tier 7 Guana Turret on a chassis comparable to a light hoverdyne. This would fire high damage explosive lightning ball rounds at medium velocity in a straight line with a long range and super slow reload times. It would act like an assault gun, with the same going for the Cray Corp.

Board-General

Re: New Unit Idea

Postby stAtrill » 05 Feb 2014 09:18

Haha so I initially thought that there were ideas 'for fun' and 'serious' ideas, of which I figured this was the former. As I playtested it (by myself, being a Tuesday), it suddenly occurred to me that this idea may have more merit than I thought.

At first glance, it sounds like a broken unit (the T7 bullet is the most powerful weapon in game, bar none), but in play, it seems more like a stalemate breaker (with limited usefulness in other situations), and here is why:
-This unit punishes friendly fire, and HARD. If it FFs itself in the back, it can die in one shot.
-This unit has limited early game usefulness (it has no useful specs, shields, nor AMS)
-The unit is squishy and dies easily
-You must trade a squad of meds (with early through late game usefulness) for a unit with marginal mid to late game usefulness.

All in all, the idea of a unit that breaks stalemates (like the kinds that typically evolve where hills are involved) is much-needed; an original goal that BD and I had was to give players more options to attack to bias matches towards more dynamic, constantly evolving attacks. This unit is the flip side of the coin, it punishes those who bunker down, and could be balanced relatively easily (it is still a tad broken as-is, as it is basically a visual radar on a squishy tank with a big ass gun).

Essentially, the OND light tank squad was reduced to one unit and given the T7 gun while in Balanced or Defensive mode (Off and Speed are normal weapons). Further changes were needed to make the idea viable:
-The stock view range is 280, while the T7 bullet range is 350. Viewrange increased to 380.
-To compensate for the lost units, health and armor were increased to that of Medium tanks.
-The bullet was ridiculously powerful. Damagemultiplier reduced to 1.0.
-The bullet was given back it's pre-patch splash range (the T7 bullet originally had a splash range that was removed in the update patches, presumably to make the Single Player Campaign easier).
-Accuracy was raised 50%.
-Score awarded for killing one set to 20 (or the score value of killing 5 bombers). This would ensure that anyone who brings and loses a whole DS of these would likely throw the game.

Here you go Compy, I am sure you know what to do with the files (they go in ".../GC/data/"), and remember to delete them when you are done.
Code: Select all
http://www.mediafire.com/download/46svs7g3xd58qht/OND_Assault_gun_[MOD].zip

Regards,
-Stat

Real Member

Postby DarixIta » 05 Feb 2014 19:29

God i love this unit, does outrageous amounts of dmg with a good speed :D . But its so vulnerable, just 1 unit with no shields: no matter how fast it is, it will get destroyed quickly. Kind of late game glass cannon, but not sure its worth sacrificing a tank squad for it, and forget it behind your apc+repairing stuff, without putting it on hold, and it will erase all your stuff in a couple shots. It has some uses, i see it pretty good in fear\as maps\sz or any static map, plus its the ultimate crayven killer 8-) .

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 06 Feb 2014 17:19

DarixIta wrote:God i love this unit, does outrageous amounts of dmg with a good speed :D ... without putting it on hold, and it will erase all your stuff in a couple shots.
Agreed - it is hella fun, and since it basically forces hold-fire mode, it also would force players to be aware or it could die to things it would normally easily kill (like jeag specs, etc). I dig the dynamic, but I think it remains to be seen what the rest of the vets have to say :P

DarixIta wrote:Its the ultimate crayven killer 8-) .
Very much so, if:
1) played at maximum attack range
2) in an air-off game
3) and the cray player has not yet deployed jeags.

-Stat

Board-Major

Postby Compuguy » 13 Mar 2016 00:10

We could make an assault gun class, that would be pretty cool. Long range, high damage, very squishy single unit with limited turret traverse?

Real Member

Postby E-Dawg_snizzle » 29 May 2016 10:03

I made a new aerodyne unit for OND just for fun. A jumpjet style aerodyne that can remain stationary and not have to fly around constantly.
Attachments
gc115a.jpg
gc115a.jpg (223.17 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
gc114a.jpg
gc114a.jpg (205.69 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
gc111a.jpg
gc111a.jpg (231.36 KiB) Viewed 2788 times

Return to Ground Control - Mods | Maps