Spiritual Successor

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Real Member

Spiritual Successor

Postby Van » 29 Apr 2016 15:19

Hey GCVets :)

Now it is like this, that I will be given the chance to build a Niched product for my current workplace, given free reigns but it needs to have an established audience that are niched into a smaller market. I've been thinking about this for a while but I've now been given the chance to maybe build a spiritual successor for Ground Control.

I need your feedback and input on this, is it worth it and is it possible to make something spectacular with the time I've been given that the community here will like and think of as theirs in the project time of 20 weeks (Starting in August 2016).

Right now I'm going to start up pre production by june, make initial design decisions and try to have a dialogue with you people. I also need to establish the team.

My earlier experience with game design is primarily boardgames, roleplaying games and more.

Would this community want an actual spiritual successor, or do you want to play GC and nothing else?

Board-General

Re: Spiritual Successor

Postby shpooky » 01 May 2016 00:11

i want a spiritual successor!
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 03 May 2016 11:32

Some of us would probably play it, but overall as a community we are quite reactionary, and any new things are very hard to introduce :D
Also we are pretty damn small, so I am not sure we qualify as "established audience" for your purposes.

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 04 May 2016 06:15

i say go for it :D i think i can help out with it getting exposure
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Real Member

Postby Van » 04 May 2016 17:31

The audience can be however Niched the project requires (They just want to see cool, niche games made here) So if you ppl see yourselves as an audience, you are one.

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 05 May 2016 23:33

just do it!
don't let you dreams be dreams!
:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 20 May 2016 16:46

Massive tried GC2, then progressed to WIC (World In Conflict), but even those games only had a small following even though they got great critical acclaim and reviews.
Don't really know where you could take GC, the game itself for its genre, is pretty established and is great, although there will always be balancing issues from time to time and the odd MOD, balance files or maps.
This type of game style/play will only really appeal to a small audience and nothing like the following that StarCraft or even C&C achieved awhile ago. I think the RTS genre has played its course and most gamers have now moved on. Even the Company of Heroes franchise, although critically acclaimed only has a limited appeal, and these are backed by huge
This game is basically small scale skirmish battles, maybe by increasing the unit and squad sizes, like in Total War, you may get more people playing the game. IMO this game needs to be similar to the Total War series, with its campaign map and it's huge battles or small skirmish ones, depending on the situation that arises. Maybe that's something to work towards, that way you could pull in a bigger audience, maybe!
I am not sure if this universe is worth revisiting, maybe it is, maybe its not, its hard to say. You will always get the core fans who will always love the original game, unfortunately we are only a small group and don't really make enough noise to be noticed out there.
It would be interesting to see what you can come up with.

Board-Major

Postby Chumpit » 20 May 2016 19:05

Hey guys, I just started playing Homeworld: deserts of kharak. It reminds me so much of GC, probably even more so than the Homeworld games. It came out in January I think and definely worth checking out. I can see on steam that Sarvik has it already, what are your thoughts Sarv?

Board-General

Postby Sarvik » 24 May 2016 11:45

It is sort of ground based Homeworld. The way units and terrain works definitely has similarities to GC, although fundamentally it is still a Homeworld with mothership, resource gathering, tech research, and army building. Overall not bad, although campaign felt a bit a short for price. I haven't played very recently but then I last tried it multiplayer was pretty quiet and lacking on maps.

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 30 May 2016 06:10

not a game worth buying :D

Next

Return to Ground Control - General