[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.gcvets.net - View topic - Reviving Ground Control

Reviving Ground Control

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Re: Reviving Ground Control

Postby shpooky » 06 May 2014 22:03

well im on my own on this one XD
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Board-General

Postby _nOx_ » 06 May 2014 22:55

errr... I'm not really getting what's being discussed here. Making a new GC from scratch or rebuild new props and models for the existing one?
As for the first... I wouldn't recommend getting it started unless there's a way to pay people to work on it. Good intentions are cheap.
As for the latter... Is that really necessary? I would play this game even if OND units were balls and Cray units were cubes (which, in essence, they are)

Board-General

Postby shpooky » 06 May 2014 23:09

making a new GC from scratch thats what we were talking about.........................
i only work in cyan and sometimes really really bright blue :D so bright it burns your eyes!!!!!

(if you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me or you can contact me via email ddavidshpak@aol.com)

Beginner

Postby johno » 17 Sep 2014 10:02

Board-General

Postby _nOx_ » 17 Sep 2014 10:49

Hey man! Welcome to the devoted GC community.

Yap. As it seems we can barely do nothing regarding the intelectual property. Attempts were made to contact the current GC rights owners but so far I think we haven't had any answer from them. So yep. I think the most "realistic" option would be to develop something similar.
About priorities... As community I think on the multiplayer we would priorize DM, camera and gameplay as it is but a complete network connection rework would be essential. The network issues have haunted GC from the beginning. As for the single player, I think story is one of the things that should be more nurtured and cared.
I think the consensus here would be to keep the gameplay, rebuild the network modules and maybe retouch the pathfinding and upgrade a bit the graphics though, honestly that's the lesser of my concerns. It's shocking how cool the game looks like without even considering how old it is.

BTW, if you enjoyed the single campaign you should try to enjoy a couple of online games with us. It's far more fun.

Anyway. Let the old grumpies proclaim. What do you think guys?

Beginner

Postby Destroy » 17 Sep 2014 11:14

Beginner

Postby johno » 17 Sep 2014 11:30

Reading the EULA (I would quote it if I had it on this machine) it seems to me that ANY sort of reverse-engineering is a no-no, so that means using anything from the original (data or code) is out. Am I interpreting this wrong?

Trivia:
As I recall the original "Entity Model" files that the artists used were a text based format (basically it was a mini-scripting language for level of detail control, rudimentary animation and particle systems), but these originals did not ship; rather they were serialized into a binary format (.se2?) in the interest of loading speed.

Board-Major

Postby mind-pt- » 17 Sep 2014 16:00

I think fluidity is very important concept on the game and how we play it, the tactical component of the game, the constant need of team work in order to succeed.
Besides the fluidity on multi-player, the variety of different units with different roles+combinations that give a level of uncertainty in terms of the progress/outcome of the match itself. On the other hand the game is simple.

Another thing that is a consensus is the air role on GC1 online, the game is designed for air use, but the ground units vs ground units makes the game way more interesting, so air power should be looked upon with a new approach.

Another fundamental thing is also to make the game more user friendly, ability to record, broadcast, spectator mode (who wouldn't like to see a good match?) is also a nice thing to spread the word for the game. Give ability to creativity, because that keeps the game alive.

Real Member

Postby DarixIta » 17 Sep 2014 18:32

@johno you should really talk to Statrill, our resident modder. He has been working on the inner workings of gc for a while, i think on code too. Still no idea why rebellion wants to keep the source code: the game is nearly dead, they make no money out of it and have no idea if they will make a sequel. Makes no sense...
Making a completely new game is a very hard task, even having a whole team to work with; and even if we managed to, we can't use gc material\lore right?

Beginner

Postby Destroy » 17 Sep 2014 18:49

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Control - General