[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.gcvets.net - View topic - Reviving Ground Control

Reviving Ground Control

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Re: Reviving Ground Control

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 03 Aug 2013 17:04

I totally agree about getting new people in and also getting away from the RTS umbrella, but I was always informed that Strategy was something that was planned and decided upon before any engagement took place, while tactics was employed during the battle.

Sun Tzu (Sun Wu to be more accurate) showed that strategy is timeless. While tactics will change with weaponry, terrain, training etc. over time and place. Strategy might therefore make reference to a large scale plan to win the war and is therefore the theory usually but not necessarily conceived before the battle. Tactics are the theory of how that might be achieved in the given terrain, with the available weapons and troops.

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 04 Aug 2013 18:48

Right on, Ninja. I agree.

But like it or not, people see "RTS" / "real time strategy" as a genre about building a lot of forces real fast - maximizing actions-per-minute (APM) - then overwhelming the other guy. If you go "real time tactics" they basically think "Oh: it's an RTS but you don't build units..." That totally misses half the depth of what GC is, as we all know.

Beginner

Postby Tabu » 05 Aug 2013 21:07

@NP
I realize that Cry Engine might seem more appealing, however, the reason for mentioning Unity, is that Unity is an engine not specialized on a specific genre. It have been a while since I have been working with shooter designed engines for anything else than its purpose, so it might have changed the last couple of years, but the times I have been working on games just slightly outside the boundaries of the engine (Source and Unreal) it was a real pain, and never ended up being nice, I do not know if this is the case with Cry engine.. but I would be suprised if it isent. I belive that using Unity would grant greater freedom and a better chance of nailing the touch and feel of GC.

@Destroy
Long time no see :)
I have just vaguely touched git :) I mainly used SVN(build on CVS).. coders at my work uses CVS (Seriously old school, I know) and GIT, and privately in my own company we use Unitys own Asset server, so I guess I am a bit out of the loop on that one ;) If GIT is what the young people want these day, I say let them have it ;) Just a question about bithub and bitbucket.. are they truly free.. or is it "limited freedom" ? I see that bitbucket, made by atlassian, gives you 5 users for free, but is there free unlimited space? And I remember installing github on my work, wich ended up not being free if I wanted to use it seriously?

@XFunc CaRteR
I see your point in not wanting to give hard core RTS players the wrong impression disappointing them when they, or even worse, that they get the wrong impression before even trying the game. To me GC is a tactical game, and that is what makes it special, the only real strategic part is when you decide what units you bring to the battlefield. But the magic happens when you first see other players, this is where you have to adapt, figure out what units he brought to the battlefield, how you want to use your choice of units to defeat him, and basically combine the placement of units to backup and strenghten other units. In my mind, Ground Control is the closest, still, that a game have come to real time chess.. the core mechanics are almost the same, and both games are some of the only one's where I have been able to enjoy loosing, because when an opponent is better than you, and its fair.. its just ok and beautiful.
So, to me it could be called "Sexual Stimulating Tactical Free Roaming Camera Multi Unit Control Shooter" (SSTFRCMUCS) if it brings attention and more people to love my all time favorite game then fine.. but to me GC will always be a Tactical game.. and the tactics you have to use is what makes it beautiful :)

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 06 Aug 2013 05:45

Hi Tabu, I believe that Cryengine3 was specifically designed with the modding community in mind and for any game genre, not just FPS. Crytec are trying to promote it as such, I have seen some really nice projects come out of it. I do believe that they are trying to establish some sort of market to compete against the UDK, Frostbite etc engines. Check out Crydev.net
I believe that the WiC engine would be a good one to use and do a mod with GC, I am sure you can disable the zone capturing side of it and have a regular GC'ish battle.

Beginner

Postby Destroy » 06 Aug 2013 11:14

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 07 Aug 2013 23:12

Doing a made-from-scratch version of GC in another engine will be a year or more wasted.

You won't capture the feel and nuance of the original. Nobody will play it. All you'll have is little tanks that look the same. But they won't mvoe thee same or behave the same.

Unless you can get the pathfinding algorithms in GC itself, and port them somehow...

Beginner

Postby Destroy » 07 Aug 2013 23:40

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 08 Aug 2013 05:46

Ok I think we can put this aspect of this thread to bed now, trying to recreate GC from the ground up in another engine is a no no. So it boils down to obtaining the original source code :( :cry:
Tabu if your watching this thread, any update?

Beginner

Postby Tabu » 08 Aug 2013 06:43

No update yet :(
Will try something else.

I will take a look at the CryEngine, very interesting if they are going another route

And I agree, Network is where the trouble starts.

Board-General

Postby Ninja_Prime52 » 08 Aug 2013 18:24

The cryengine is easy to create levels, but I am more familiar with the editor sandbox. I did a few levels using that editor a few years ago. I think you will find it very interesting and possibly something you might use at a future date.

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Control - General