[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.gcvets.net - View topic - Reviving Ground Control

Reviving Ground Control

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

Reviving Ground Control

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 22 Jul 2013 23:28

I'm gonna repost my comment on the Ground Control HD article...

Yah. Basically, you’re looking at the End of Ground Control, if we can’t fix it. It’s not IMplausible to see a time when the game just won’t run on most home systems.

And then it will die out as each of us dies out.

People have heard my opinion on this. I believe that if we could fix the major technical issues – moving GC to a pier-to-pier environment (basically taking in the functionality of GR, minus the problems of GR) – we have the basis of a MAJORLY revived Ground Control.

I don’t think we should wait on this. I think that if Rebellion saw a modded version of GC that worked like that, they would fall over themselves to try to do a deal with us. (They’d be fools not to: their game would now start to generate income for them.)

I’m gonna do my best to promote GC through my Youtube channel The Sand Table. I’ll be drawing in viewers from bigger games, namely Counter-Strike (as I have a vintage CS doc that has never been released on the internet).

But if I'm directing people to a game that is a pain-in-the-ass to get to work, then we're gonna lose half or more of the potential new players.

I think this is like an assault in Ground Control. When you’re on a team, when one player does an assault, it’s best to go in with him. If you wait, that guy gets eaten alive, and then you’re down a player, and the other team turns on you. Better to go in, with your ally. I’d say we have a good shot at success doing an all-out assault to make GC into a mainstream game.

There's something else...

If you were to think of Ground Control as a sport. I think GC has what it takes for a game to be an esport. Don't you agree?

Anyway...

Rebellion owns the game. But WE own the sport.

We have 13 years of experience playing it. That is worth something.

WE are the ones who can revive Ground Control. That's worth something.

Board-General

Re: Reviving Ground Control

Postby Satch » 23 Jul 2013 01:07

Beginner

Postby Crinckle » 23 Jul 2013 23:37

Board-General

Postby Satch » 24 Jul 2013 00:53

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 24 Jul 2013 05:12

Another GC archive:

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 24 Jul 2013 22:32

What counts is what GC has. It doesn't have numbers... yet. Numbers just indicate discovery. I'm certain they'll come.

What is has is unique, one-of-a-kind gameplay. That's what matter's. That it's "old" doesn't matter. American football is old, but every year the Superbowl is a humongous thing.

I'm gonna spend the next couple of years promoting this. You're welcome to do whatever initiatives you wish... Or do nothing. Or just keep playing with us and having fun. Maybe there isn't too much that can be done, other than just spreading the word a little bit.

Board-General

Postby Satch » 25 Jul 2013 00:01

Beginner

Postby Crinckle » 25 Jul 2013 00:48

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 25 Jul 2013 03:46

Another GC archive:

Board-General

Postby XFunc_CaRteR » 26 Jul 2013 00:42

Yes, Satch.

So far as a sport goes, the first thing yiou MUST have is an old game. A game that is STATIC - unchanging - is NECESSARY for a game to become a sport.

Why?

Because the focus of a sport is on the players and their strategies. The game must be constant and unchanging in order to feature the players and the games.

As soon as a game takes on the typical shapeshifting nature of many current videogames, yiou destroy the ability to make it into a true sport.

This is why all the major sports of the world have standard rules - rules that very very rarely are changed.

Compare the sports income of football to ANY videogame that's been turned into an esport. There's no comparison.

Next

Return to Ground Control - General