[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.gcvets.net - View topic - For those on Win 8....

For those on Win 8....

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

For those on Win 8....

Postby stAtrill » 05 May 2013 19:44

So, we have more than just a couple vets here on Windows 8, and many have had, and solved, problems. After spending 3 hours yesterday chasing all kinds of random errant problems (to only get 2 games in), we discovered that our user who was having trouble connecting was on Win 8.

I know a few of you (Ninja, maybe BD?) are also on Win 8, but figured out how to get GC to work. May we make this the thread to post all useful info for playing with GC+Win8?

Thanks guys,
-Stat

Another GC archive:

Board-General

Re: For those on Win 8....

Postby ninja_prime » 05 May 2013 19:47

What kind of problems were you having?
I will try to help, as best I can :)

Beginner

Postby Crinckle » 05 May 2013 22:30

Anyone using an MS OS within 2 years of initial release can expect shite. I offer this opinion based on watching my last hours work disappear when Win 95 engaged the "blue screen of death" in 1996 all the way through to Win 7's wobbly wifi (prior to service pack 1).

In case you hadn't yet spotted a pattern, what other companies call "beta testing", MS call call "product launch". Virtual Machines might help you with compatibility issues. is free & open source.

Real Member

Postby N3ST » 06 May 2013 20:39

Hello Guys,

I am trying differents methods.
I tried Virtualbox, the 3d accelation doesn't support directx 7; and ground control need it.
I am using vmware workstation 9.0, Ground control find the graphic card, but it is extremely slow, the software rendering however is very fast.
I have the same issue on Windows 7 and 8, because of the Intel drivers, they have a bug, the graphic card stay on low clock mod, and I cannot use the 7970m, GC don't recognize it.
Game ranger is bugging on Windows 8.
Otherwise everyhting sis working faster since I am on Windows 8.
I'll will continue to investigate.

Board-General

Postby ninja_prime » 07 May 2013 20:30

I am surprised that GC does not run properly on your W8 machine. Graphics card drivers are normally an issue, that's why it's best to keep them up to date. My home PC uses an ATI card and my work PC uses an Nivida card, and I have not had any problems with them so far.
GC is over 10 Years old, so any modern card should be able to run it without an issue. There is no need to emulate an XP operating system to get it working.

Real Member

Postby N3ST » 07 May 2013 22:14

I am on a cleo P170Em with I7 3630qn + 16go of DDR3 1600Mhz cl9, and with two graphic card with the infamous enduro system (Intel HD4000 and AMD HD7970M)
Their is currently issue with the driver for the enduro system and the Intel Hd4000, it stay in 2d clock mod, so it is very slow :/
I hope a compatible driver will be out soon :/

Board-General

Postby [Crayven-Marine] » 23 May 2013 14:24

Hi all,

I Play GC on an old Dell Inspiron 530 System with a Dual Core E6600, Radeon 2600 XT, 4GB, 256 SSD Samsung and Win8 Enterprise x64. GC works fine so far on it.

Also I have a Dell XPS 13 with Intel HD 4000 and it's ok, just the HD4000 onboard chipset is not that good (I have a dual graficscard notebooke before but this only due to a project).

I also can play GC on a Virtual Server WinServ 2008 R2 (VMCloud) via Citrix-Client, but to play via RDP is no fun :-(.

But on all machines I had no problems with it...

“Consider your origin; you were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.” - Dante

Return to Ground Control - General