[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.gcvets.net - View topic - VoIP / VoChat / Teamspeak

VoIP / VoChat / Teamspeak

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

VoIP / VoChat / Teamspeak

Postby [Crayven-Marine] » 05 Apr 2012 14:08

Hello everyone,

thanks to the good idea of Nox/mind, to use (m)IRC again to coordinate our games in GR, I would like to got a bit further:

In the past the clan like AR, RI, Minion and so on used usually the voice chat software TEAMSPEAK (further on TS).

Are some of you are interested to use TC again? I have a small server I administer that could work as TS-Server, to have a persisten chatroom /voice chat.

If there is enought interest coming from you, I would like to set up a TS-Server and make a GCvets-Room. Or even in gerneral we could use TS again for our games because I like to hear you people instead of writing you during a match.

What do you guys think?

“Consider your origin; you were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.” - Dante

Board-Major

Re: VoIP / VoChat / Teamspeak

Postby mind-pt- » 05 Apr 2012 17:32

well, yea why not ? that would be extremely useful in team matches... maybe if we make a 2on2 tournament soon...

And just as side note credit needs to be given where credit is deserved, The irc channel was BD's idea :)
Last edited by mind-pt- on 06 Apr 2012 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

Board-Major

Postby Chumpit » 05 Apr 2012 18:14

I do worry whether anyone will be able to understand BD's accent, maybe if everyone watches Braveheart before hand to get used to it. Otherwise its an excellent idea. I used to use Ventrillo a lot and it helps no end in team games!

Board-General

Postby Satch » 05 Apr 2012 18:51

I may be Scottish, but to my knowledge I don't sound like an American-born Australian trying to force a Scottish accent (and failing). ;(

TeamSpeak is an excellent suggestion, although, I think we should keep its usage for a future 2v2 team tournament. My reasoning is that whilst TeamSpeak/Ventrilo improves teamwork and facilitates better social interactions and so forth, it also causes a few issues for such a small community. Balancing games becomes significantly harder. If I have two relatively new players on my team who are not communicative (or just someone who is unable/doesn't want to use TS), and my opponents are working together, this is a big problem. My only chance of beating the other team is hoping that they aren't working well together.

Even without Teamspeak, it's very hard to get good balanced games going at the moment. A significant amount of games are 2v3/3v4, and end with the winning team running around the map and getting a point victory. This will only get worse with the addition of TS where one team will usually have the upper hand due to the ease of communication.

For the 2v2 tournament though — assuming one is arranged — this is a great idea. In this scenario, both teams will be balanced (theoretically) and hopefully chatting away.

This is just my opinion though, although I am speaking from experience.

Board-General

Postby _nOx_ » 05 Apr 2012 19:06

Board-General

Postby Satch » 05 Apr 2012 19:13

It is a bit off CM's original topic, but if people want a successful 2v2 tournament to be arranged, they should be playing more in the 1v1 tournament. Not only will this allow us to create more balanced teams (based on the 1v1 performances), it will also show that we actually have enough people interested to warrant a new tournament...

Despite the fact we had more people entering than I thought we would, it's still been a very small 1v1 tournament, and at the moment, it doesn't look like there is enough interest or players to arrange a decent-sized 2v2 bracket.

Board-Major

Postby Chumpit » 05 Apr 2012 21:27

Board-General

Postby [Crayven-Marine] » 05 Apr 2012 21:41

All honor to the scottsman! ;-)

I have read that some scottish politicians (SNP) want the scottish state to become indepenten from the UK as Alex Salmond said?! I welcome that. :-)

However, I have heard of ventrillo and it looks more inviting than TS, so we may have to choose between them?!

Also I agree that there is such a possibility to use VoIP, and even if we make 2vs2 tournaments or even teamgames, who will check that some players dont use that software? I have not yet, but it's so more easy to interact so why go against it?

For sure, if some of us play with ..rather GC delight-players... its inbalanced, but even without TS/Ventrillo it would be uneven and such games should be weighted as "trainings"... so is my attitude.

Please let us all not forget (and I sometimes take it also to serious with GC) that we play for fun and with friends... scottish or not... :-D

“Consider your origin; you were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.” - Dante

Board-Major

Postby mind-pt- » 06 Apr 2012 00:01

Board-General

Postby Satch » 06 Apr 2012 00:30

I apologise for drifting off topic again, but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, Mind. Personal preference regarding 1v1 or 2v2 isn't what I was discussing, I was talking simply about the numbers we have available to make a decent sized tournament.

The point I was making is that - assuming the majority of players who played in the 1v1 tournament wanted to play in a 2v2 single elimination tournament - we would still only have 4 or possibly 5 teams. In single elimination terms that means you'd start off in the semi-finals, producing a very short and anti-climatic tournament! The ideal number of teams is this scenario would be 8 or 16, and we certainly won't have enough for either.

Sure, round robin is an option like we're doing in the 1v1 tournament, but remember that arranging 4 people to be in the same place at the same time is significantly harder than 1v1, usually single elimination is the way to go in this situation.

Perhaps I'm wrong (it's happened before), and it may be worthwhile creating a thread later on to see who is interested in signing up.

Next

Return to Ground Control - General