[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.gcvets.net - View topic - This Game is Awesome!!!

This Game is Awesome!!!

Post all general things in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Board-General

This Game is Awesome!!!

Postby stAtrill » 10 Mar 2012 14:23

I think I'm hooked. Yesterday was the coolest thing known to man. It was a pleasure playing with you guys!

And thanks BD for the pointers!
-stAtrill

Another GC archive:

Board-General

Re: This Game is Awesome!!!

Postby Satch » 10 Mar 2012 15:44

No problem StAtrill, It was an enjoyable set of games indeed.

The games were surprisingly balanced considering there were three relatively new players. There's such a big difference between playing the campaign and multiplayer, so it's always a bit overwhelming during your first few games. The campaign is all about keeping units alive and mostly about the group firepower, whereas multiplayer is a lot more to do with special weapons and equipment, and hit and run tactics.

The only other thing I'd mention about your play is that your units were sometimes too clumped up and often not in a good position to either support or attack. For example, your Drone Carrier on DM4 (the last game I played), was sitting at the back for a while, then when I mentioned for you to use it, you attacked and instantly killed an artillery unit.

Regarding your units being clumped up, the first set of actions you should do after dropping (and scanning the map for the enemy dropships of course) is:

1. Select all > Move your units to where you want to set up
2. Hold position on APC and infantry (space for me) and wait until your infantry manage to get in the APC
3. Select all (x for me) > line formation
4. Set control groups. For me, thats group 1 (2 medium squads for offense), group 2 (beams or support units), and group 3 (2 backup medium squads)
5. Use the control groups to set up a decent formation in a safe area of the map
6. Set up radar, and bring up the radar's range on the minimap (hover over the radar and press R). If you're playing defensive, stay within the radar's range on the minimap

These actions don't take long at all, with practice, you should be set up in less than a minute. Obviously, depending on the dropzone proximity, you may have to change your drop plan a bit, but for the majority of games, the above actions are a good start.

After that, it's just about playing sensibly and not wasting too many units or specials. It's also crucial not to give needless points away at the start of the game, as the points often depend on which team has to be offensive (due to the time limit set on each game). Playing offensively is difficult - especially in 4v4's - as you won't be within your own radar range, while the enemy probably will see you coming. Add the sheer amount of mines people take these days into the mix, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
Last edited by Satch on 10 Mar 2012 15:51, edited 2 times in total.

Board-General

Postby Satch » 10 Mar 2012 15:53

Board-General

Postby stAtrill » 10 Mar 2012 20:08

Also, I was curious why only 2 dropships were allowed on all maps we played? Is this because the maps are small, or you cant manage 12 squads effectively, or?

I also noticed difficulties as options in the multiplayer setup screens - what happens if they are not on normal? Would setting it to hard increase all firepower and decrease all health? Almost like single hit kills, for everybody?

Finally, I was also curious about the air - why no air? Does air break gameplay?

Regarding the first things you do when the match starts, I gradually caught on as the games continued ;)
The first match was horrible. I think that has to be my least favorite map out of all that we played. haha

Being in the US makes exploiting lag a useful option, I could actually hit the button as a special would fire and the shields would be up before the units got hit. I noticed this wasn't the case for all players :D

-stAtrill

Another GC archive:

Board-General

Postby _nOx_ » 10 Mar 2012 23:05

Return to Ground Control - General